Construction on the new worship space for First Congregational was documented frequently by local newspapers:
- February 21st 1868: "workmen began demolition of the old wooden houses on Eagle street preparatory to building the Congregational Church."
- May 15th 1868: "ground was broken for the ereection of the Congregational edifice"
- May 1st 1869: "The scaffolding was removed from the spire of the new Congregational Church, disclosing the tallest and on eofthe most summetrical steeples in the city."
- From February 8, 1868 through October 1869, the congregation worshipped in Association Hall (then used by the Y.M.C.A.) which stood at the site of the Hampton Hotel.